Effective January 10, 2017
The following requirements are necessary for the hiring of the Oro Valley Police Department Officers for off-duty work:
- Proof of a General Liability insurance policy in the amount of two (2) million dollars, making the Town of Oro Valley an “additional insured party” to the policy, which includes all applicable departments.
- If the Oro Valley Police Department is providing off-duty officers as part of a special event, they are covered under the Certificate of Insurance provided to the Town for the special event.
- We require a minimum of three (3) business days prior notice for job requests to be staffed and all the required paperwork must be received by the Office of Professional Standards prior to assigning officers to the job. If the Department receives less than three (3) business days notice to fill an assignment, officers will receive $60.00 per hour per officer.
- We require payment to each individual officer. Payment is due at the off-duty employer’s next regular pay period or no event later than two (2) weeks of the date of the off-duty job, whichever occurs first.
Hourly pay rates are as follows:
Officer $40.00 Sergeant $45.00 (if acting in a supervisory capacity) Lieutenant $50.00 (if acting in a supervisory capacity) Holiday pay rate for all above Time and one half of regular off-duty rate
The following holidays are recognized as eligible for holiday pay rate:
New Year’s Eve, New Year's Day, Civil Rights’ Day, Presidents’ Day, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Overnight shifts starting or ending on a holiday will be billed at the holiday pay rate.
As a general rule, one (1) sergeant is required for every five (5) officers assigned.
- All jobs have a four (4) hour minimum. If cancellation is necessary, notification must be made one (1) business day prior to the job or a four (4) hour minimum will be charged per officer.
- At the discretion of the Office of Professional Standards Lieutenant, employers requesting officers to remain at the job more than one (1) hour beyond the scheduled time will be subject to an increased pay rate of one and one-half (1½ ) times the regular rate.
- In certain situations, marked patrol units may be requested or determined to be necessary for the safety of all the parties. The mileage rate will be billed in accordance to the IRS mileage reimbursement allowance at the time services are rendered, in addition to $2.50 per hour per vehicle used. You will be informed at the time of agreement what the vehicle costs may be, pending mileage computation.
- When public safety is a concern, the Chief of Police or his designee reserves the right to adjust the staffing and duties of the officers.
Please complete the Off-Duty Agreement and return with a Certificate of Liability Insurance to Cassidy Davidson at: