Special Event Guide

The Town of Oro Valley is proud to have its residents and visitors host a multitude of community events to improve the quality of life and contribute to the economic vitality of the Town.

Permits are required for Special Events which include events or activities taking place on public/private property such as a town facility, a town street or sidewalk, marketplace, or public-right-of-way. 

If you are a community event organizer looking for information about how your event could be supported by the town, please reference our Community Event Sponsorship Guide(PDF, 183KB). The town also offers sponsorship opportunities for events related to Town Tourism initiatives. For information regarding tourism event sponsorship opportunities please reference our Tourism Sponsorship Policy(PDF, 184KB).

If you have questions about a special event, or would you like to hold a special event in Oro Valley please call or email:

Andrew Fairbanks at 520-955-7712.

Special Event Application

The following document is required to be completed by the applicant:

Special Event Permit Application

Please complete all information; do not leave any spaces blank. Write N/A in spaces that do not pertain to your event.  Incomplete applications will not be processed.  The Special Event Permit Application form is a fillable PDF document which you must save to your own computer, fill out and the upload to the Customer Portal. All uploaded applications and required documents must be in a PDR format.

Submit the completed application along with a site plan and other related documents through the Customer Portal

In the Customer Portal you will select My Portal, Apply Online and select the Special Events category. The Customer Portal will allow you to apply, monitor review progress and pay for permits.

Please call or email Andrew Fairbanks at 520-955-7712 for questions.



How far in advance should you submit your application?

Special Event applications must be submitted from 60 days up to 180 days prior to your event start date depending on the scope of the event.



Special Event Application Fees for events range from $50 to $200.

Additional fees may apply if the event organizer is renting a town park/facility, needs off-duty fire personnel and/or police personnel, has temporary structures and/or requires traffic control. 



Alcohol at Events

Liquor Licensing

If there will be any alcohol consumption associated with your event, Arizona State Law requires the appropriate permit to do so.  The following are options depending on the type of event you are hosting.    

Series 15 Special Event Liquor License

This temporary, non-transferable, liquor license with retail privileges allows a political party or ballot measure committee, government entity, or non-profit entity to sell and serve spirituous liquor for consumption on the special event premises where the spirituous liquor is sold, and only for the period authorized on the license. Off-sale privileges apply only to special events holding auctions/wine or distilled spirit pull.  Special Event Liquor License applications must be submitted to the Town at least 30 days prior to the event for review and approval.  Once the application is approved by the Town, the application shall be submitted to the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control at least 10 days prior to the date of the event.

The Town charges a $25 processing fee for each Special Event license.  The Town accepts cash, credit card or check. Please submit in person or by mail to: Clerk’s Office, 11000 N. La Cañada Drive, Oro Valley, Arizona 85737.

Please note that the Department of Liquor requires a $25 fee per each day of the Special Event.  Should you choose to have the town submit the approved Series 15 license application to the Department of Liquor after local approval, please include the appropriate fee amount, in the form of a check, with your application.

ARIZONA STATUTES AND REGULATIONS: A.R.S. §4-203.02, 4-244, 4-261; Rule R19-1-318.


Series 16 Festival/Fair License

A Fair/Festival license allows a licensed farm winery or craft distillery to serve products they produce at a festival, sanctioned county or state fair or within the premises of a licensed special event. Liquor produced under the provisions of the farm winery or craft distillery license may be served for consumption on the fair/festival premises or "to-go" in the original, sealed container. The application will require state approval.

Fairs/Festivals do not require approval from local governing bodies if fully within an already licensed premise pursuant to Title IV. Craft Distiller Festivals/Fairs does not require approval by the local governing body if within a premises that is already licensed pursuant to Title IV.

The Festival/Fair liquor license application shall be submitted to the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control at least 10 days prior to the date of the event.

Please note that the Department of Liquor requires a $15 fee per each day of the Fair/Festival.

The fair license is subject to the permission of the fair organizers.

ARIZONA STATUTES AND REGULATIONS: A.R.S. §4-203.03, 4-203.02 and 4-205.11.


Temporary Extension of Premise, Existing Liquor Licenses Only

An establishment within the event footprint that is already licensed to sell alcohol, may apply to extend the premise of the licensed area temporarily. The serving area must be contiguous to the existing licensed area without separation to qualify for an extension of premise.



General Liability Insurance is required for any event (public or private) being held on Town owned property. Please read the following guidelines:

  • A $2 million aggregate policy is required for each event with a $1 million per occurrence.
  • If the event is requesting to be permitted to sell or serve liquor, a minimum of $2 million Liquor Liability must be provided.
  • If using private insurance, the "Town of Oro Valley" must be listed as additionally insured on the Certificate of Insurance (COI) and Endorsement documents. Contact your policy provider for related questions.
    • Your carrier should be able to add the Town as required at no additional cost.
    • List the Town of Oro Valley on the COI and all Endorsements as The Town of Oro Valley, 11,000 N. La Canada Drive, Oro Valley AZ 85737.
    • Endorsements that do not reference a required contracting requirement are preferred, any other endorsement type will require Town Legal Department approval and may result in delays.
  • Not-for-profit users and others using Oro Valley government property may have the option to secure cost-effective liability insurance through Gather Guard at gatherguard.com.


Free Speech Events

The Town Code includes provisions to accommodate special events that involve exercising rights guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution or Article II, Section 6, of the Arizona Constitution such as political marches, rallies, or other free speech activities.

Application requirements may apply. For questions or additional assistance, please contact Tourism Strategies Coordinator, Andrew at afairbanks@orovalleyaz.gov or tel: 520-955-7712.



Special Event Policy and Town Codes

Oro Valley Town Code Chapter 8-3 Special Events 
This chapter of our code governs all special or large special events as defined by the code and summarized here. 

A Special Event Application is required under the following circumstances:

  • When the event, regardless of size or location (public or private property), will impact the normal flow of vehicles or pedestrians on public streets, sidewalks, parking lots, or other public property
  • When the event will be held on private property, is offered to the general public or a substantial segment of the public, and the nature of the event requires regulation to promote the health, welfare, and safety of citizens and visitors
  • Events such as festivals, concerts, sports related tournaments and/or races, and art/car shows are considered Special Events and need to follow the Special Event process.

It is the event organizer’s responsibility to ensure compliance with all Town Code requirements.