Are you going on Vacation? Leaving for the Summer or the holidays?
If you are going to be gone and your home left unoccupied for at least seven days, the Oro Valley Police Department can provide a home check. The service is free! As frequently as staffing allows, the Oro Valley Police Department and the members of our Citizen Volunteer Assistants Program (CVAP) will check the exterior of your home for security.
Here's how it works:
Please be sure to give any “away” details to the front desk personnel, do not leave this information in a phone message. YOU MUST BE AN ORO VALLEY RESIDENT to participate in the program and gone for a minimum of 7 days. If your house is “for sale,” it can be checked, but only if furniture or property remains in the house.
Along with notifying us of your absence, here are a few other safety measures you will want to follow:
- Notify a friend, relative or trusted neighbor that you'll be away and leave emergency phone numbers with them in case they need to reach you.
- Be sure all of your doors, windows and gates are locked when you leave.
- Manually lock your garage door from the inside and disengage your electronic device, this eliminates the possibility of thieves entering with garage door decoders.
- Be sure to stop your mail and your newspaper deliveries or have a friend, relative or trusted neighbor bring it in for you daily.
- Put a couple of indoor lights and your radio on a light timer - this gives the illusion someone is home.
- Arrange for someone to take care of your lawn while you're away.
Have a Safe and Wonderful Trip!