Apply for a Right-of-Way Permit

The Engineering Division is responsible for the construction management for all the public roadway projects. The right-of-way is a section of land maintained by the Town that usually contains streets, sidewalks, multi-use paths, and public landscaping and art.

Engineering staff also issue right-of-way permits for all construction and activities that take place in the Town's right-of-way.

Right-of-way permits are required for anyone performing work that will impact or infringe upon the right-of-way, such as:

  • Utility work
  • Placing a temporary sign for an event like a yard sale or arts and crafts fair
  • Placing storage containers in the street (for example, ones used for packing up your home to move)
  • Making improvements to your driveway where it ties into public property
  • Contractors working with the Town to improve the right-of-way

To minimize the potential for community spread of COVID-19, the Town of Oro Valley will NOT be accepting in-person submittals, beginning March 23, and until further notice.

Effective March 23, all right-of-way permit applications must be submitted via email to Questions, call 520-229-4800.


Step 1.Step 1: Verify if street is public or private

Use the Street Maintenance Responsibility Map.
If the street is public and maintained by the Town, go to step 2. If the street is private, contact your HOA.

Step 2.Step 2: Complete a right-of-way or sign right-of-way application

Application links are above.

Step 3.Step 3: Email completed application to

Please allow at least two business days for processing.

Step 4.Step 4: Pay right-of-way permit fee

We issue right-of-way permits electronically. This means that you will not need to visit our offices to pick up your approved permit. Town staff will contact you once the permit is approved and ready for issuance. 

Contact Us
Phone  520-229-4850   Email