Special Events Policy Information

Do you have questions about a special event or would you like to hold a special event in Oro Valley?  Please call or email Andrew Fairbanks at 520-955-7712 or click on one of the following links for more information:

Town Code on Special Events

Oro Valley Town Code Chapter 8-3 Special Events 
This chapter of our code governs all special or large special events as defined by the code and summarized here. 

A Special Event Application is required under the following circumstances:

  • When the event, regardless of size or location (public or private property), will impact the normal flow of vehicles or pedestrians on public streets, sidewalks, parking lots, or other public property
  • When the event will be held on private property, is offered to the general public or a substantial segment of the public, and the nature of the event requires regulation to promote the health, welfare, and safety of citizens and visitors
  • Events such as festivals, concerts, sports related tournaments and/or races, and art/car shows are considered Special Events and need to follow the Special Event process.

It is the event organizer’s responsibility to ensure compliance with all Town Code requirements.  


Special Event Application

The timeline for a Special Event Application ranges from 60 days up to 180 days prior to your event start date.  Please submit your application via this link.

Please complete all information; do not leave any spaces blank. Write N/A in spaces that do not pertain to your event.  Incomplete applications will not be processed.

Please call or email Andrew Fairbanks at 520-955-7712 for questions.




Special Event Application Fees for events range from $50 to $200.

Additional fees may apply if the event organizer is renting a town park/facility, needs off-duty fire personnel and/or police personnel, has temporary structures and/or requires traffic control. 



Alcohol at Events

Liquor Licensing

If there will be any alcohol consumption associated with your event, Arizona State Law requires the appropriate permit to do so.  The following are options depending on the type of event you are hosting.    

Series 15 Special Event Liquor License

This temporary, non-transferable, liquor license with retail privileges allows a political party or ballot measure committee, government entity, or non-profit entity to sell and serve spirituous liquor for consumption on the special event premises where the spirituous liquor is sold, and only for the period authorized on the license. Off-sale privileges apply only to special events holding auctions/wine or distilled spirit pull.  Special Event Liquor License applications must be submitted to the Town at least 30 days prior to the event for review and approval.  Once the application is approved by the Town, the application shall be submitted to the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control at least 10 days prior to the date of the event.

The Town charges a $25 processing fee for each Special Event license.  The Town accepts cash, credit card or check. Please submit in person or by mail to: Clerk’s Office, 11000 N. La Cañada Drive, Oro Valley, Arizona 85737.

Please note that the Department of Liquor requires a $25 fee per each day of the Special Event.  Should you choose to have the town submit the approved Series 15 license application to the Department of Liquor after local approval, please include the appropriate fee amount, in the form of a check, with your application.

ARIZONA STATUTES AND REGULATIONS: A.R.S. §4-203.02, 4-244, 4-261; Rule R19-1-318.


Series 16 Festival/Fair License

A Fair/Festival license allows a licensed farm winery or craft distillery to serve products they produce at a festival, sanctioned county or state fair or within the premises of a licensed special event. Liquor produced under the provisions of the farm winery or craft distillery license may be served for consumption on the fair/festival premises or "to-go" in the original, sealed container. The application will require state approval.

Fairs/Festivals do not require approval from local governing bodies if fully within an already licensed premise pursuant to Title IV. Craft Distiller Festivals/Fairs does not require approval by the local governing body if within a premises that is already licensed pursuant to Title IV.

The Festival/Fair liquor license application shall be submitted to the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control at least 10 days prior to the date of the event.

Please note that the Department of Liquor requires a $15 fee per each day of the Fair/Festival.

The fair license is subject to the permission of the fair organizers.

ARIZONA STATUTES AND REGULATIONS: A.R.S. §4-203.03, 4-203.02 and 4-205.11.


Temporary Extension of Premise, Existing Liquor Licenses Only

An establishment within the event footprint that is already licensed to sell alcohol, may apply to extend the premise of the licensed area temporarily. The serving area must be contiguous to the existing licensed area without separation to qualify for an extension of premise.


Free Speech Events

The Town Code includes provisions to accommodate special events that involve exercising rights guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution or Article II, Section 6, of the Arizona Constitution such as political marches, rallies, or other free speech activities.

Application requirements may apply. For questions or additional assistance, please contact Tourism Strategies Coordinator, Andrew at afairbanks@orovalleyaz.gov or tel: 520-955-7712.




General Liability Insurance is required for any event (public or private) being held on Town owned property. Please read the following guidelines:

  • A $2 million aggregate policy is required for each event with a $1 million per occurrence.
  • If the event is requesting to be permitted to sell or serve liquor, a minimum of $2 million Liquor Liability must be provided.
  • If using private insurance, the "Town of Oro Valley" must be listed as additionally insured on the Certificate of Insurance and Endorsement documents. Contact your policy provider for related questions.
  • Not-for-profit users of Oro Valley government property have the option to secure cost-effective liability insurance through the Tenant User Liability Insurance Program (TULIP). For more information contact the Legal Department at 520-229-4600.