Get a Fresh Start in 2024 with OV Parks & Rec
Published on January 29, 2024
By Rosalyn Epting
Town of Oro Valley Parks & Recreation Director
As we kick off 2024, I'm thrilled to share the latest updates from the Parks & Recreation Department.
I also wanted to take a moment to introduce myself, as I am honored to serve as Oro Valley’s new Parks & Recreation director.
My name is Rosalyn, or “Roz” for short. I grew up in Skokie, Illinois, a northern suburb of Chicago. Having many Chicago transplants in this area, some of you might be familiar with my hometown location. I hold a bachelor’s and master’s degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Recreation, Sport and Tourism. With more than 25 years of experience in the parks and recreation field, I have had the privilege of leading various recreational facilities and programs, such as athletics, community centers, fitness centers, ice arenas and events.
In a few short months serving in this role, I am overwhelmed to witness the positive impact of our recreational programs, events and facilities on our community’s physical health, mental well-being and sense of belonging, which fuels my commitment to create even more opportunities for community members to create lasting memories.
And as we enter the new year, the Parks & Recreation Department has a lot to look forward to:
First, this year marks Oro Valley’s 50th Anniversary, a significant milestone for our community. We have planned a parade down Naranja Drive on April 6, as well as an exciting event at James D. Kriegh Park on April 13. More information is available on the Town’s 50th Anniversary website at https://www.orovalleyaz.gov/Community/OV-50. Join us in celebrating the 50th Anniversary by registering your group to participate in the parade on our website. Additionally, as part of the anniversary celebration, we will be planting 50 trees, renaming West Lambert Lane Park, and enhancing our current offerings. We hope that all of you will join us in celebrating 50 years of Oro Valley!
In addition to celebrating the Town’s 50th Anniversary, Parks & Recreation has a lot more to offer. Below you will find a selection of our programs and classes in 2024. Visit the Parks & Rec webpage, PlayOV.com, for all the details and to register today!
- The Community and Recreation Center is continually adding fitness classes to provide the best variety of opportunities for members. We will also be offering new programs such as the Artist’s Way-Expressive Art Activities and Youth Scrapbooking Camp, as our class schedule continues to expand in 2024.
- At the Oro Valley Aquatic Center, along with year-round swimming opportunities, we offer Beginner Yoga, High Yo (yoga), Aqua Zumba, Intro to Mental Fitness, and Red Cross Lifeguarding certification courses. Not only are the staff at the Aquatic Center providing top quality programming, but you can also get one of the best views in Oro Valley while you’re there!
- Steam Pump Ranch is excited to offer Second Saturday at Steam Pump Ranch, the Concert Series, Gadget Guidance, Valentine’s Day Parents Night Out, and the monthly Senior Single Mingle.
- Plus, hikers of all-skill levels are encouraged to join us for the Oro Valley Hiking Series.
- Additionally, with the revitalization of Naranja Park, scheduled to open this Spring, visitors will have access to several new amenities including: a skate park, pump track (for bikes), radio-controlled airplane landing strip, walking trails, many multi-sport fields, pickleball courts, a splash pad, and the new Arizona Heroes Memorial tribute. Be sure to check the Town website for upcoming announcements regarding the grand opening event of the newly renovated Naranja Park.
As we embark on this special year and celebrate Oro Valley's 50th Anniversary together, I extend a heartfelt invitation to each and every one of you to join us in the festivities. Wishing everyone nothing but the best for 2024, and Happy 50th Anniversary Oro Valley!