Do I Need a Permit?

Do I need a permit?

The following is intended to provide homeowners with an overall list of work that may or may not require a permit.  The information provided are not exhaustive lists of all projects a homeowner might be considering, therefore we encourage you to call or email the relevant departments with additional questions. 

Main phone number: 520-229-4800


A permit is required for the following:

  • Buildings
    • House – new build
    • Remodel of an existing house
    • Additions of any size attached to the house
    • Any detached structure greater than 120 square feet in size
    • Doors
    • When a new opening is created
    • Replacement of 1 or more exterior doors
    • Windows
      • When a new opening is created
      • Replacement of 3 or more existing windows of the same size
      • Enlarging an existing opening for larger window
    • Skylight (new)
    • Deck greater than 30” in height (new)
    • Enclosing a porch or carport
    • Any building that will have plumbing or electric
  • Pool or Spa (both in ground and above ground)
  • Mechanical
    • Furnace including new and replacements
    • Air conditioning unit including new and replacements
    • Fireplace (new)
  • Plumbing
    • Water heater including new and replacements
    • Dishwasher – new install where there wasn’t one before
    • Water lines (new or replacement)
  • Electrical
    • Change or repair to electrical system
    • Reconnection
    • Retractable awnings or shades that are hardwired
    • Solar systems

Permits are not required for the following work done at a residential property:

  • Wallpapering
  • Painting
  • Floor coverings i.e. carpet, tile, etc.
  • Insulation
  • Rain gutter (new or replacement)
  • A building not attached to the house, less than 120 square feet in area as long as it does not contain electrical or plumbing. 
  • Walls
    • Retaining less than 4 feet in height when measured from bottom of footing (unless supporting a surcharge such as a house, pool or driveway)
    • Fence or yard wall less than 6 feet in height
  • Roof
    • Replacement covering (shingles, tile, etc.) without replacement of roof sheathing
  • Washing machine or Dryer provided no new electrical, plumbing or mechanical work is done
  • Drywall repairs
  • Air Conditioning unit placed in the window provided no new electrical, plumbing or mechanical work is added
  • Replacement of less than two windows of the same size and type
  • Swings or playground equipment

Zoning requirements

Whether a permit is required or not for your project, always check with the Planning Division to make sure your project meets the standards of your zoning district.

For example your 90 square storage shed may be too small to require a permit.  However, you’ll want to make sure you place the shed in a location that is allowed per the zoning of your neighborhood.

Your lot may also contain conservation easements, utility easements, floodplains or other areas that will restrict location of structures or amenities.

Grading requirements

A grading permit may be needed when you are

  • Disturbing more than 1,000 square feet of earth
  • Altering a stabilized slope
  • Adding more than 1,000 square feet of concrete or asphalt
  • Bringing more than 100 cubic yards of earth onto the property
  • Clearing vegetation which encompasses more than 1,000 square feet


Information about how to apply for a permit and which items are required to be shown on a set of plans can be found on the website. Go to the search box at the top right corner of any screen and input a keyword about your project. A key word to input could be “residential”, “commercial”, “wall” or “addition” and so on. Many key words should lead you to information about your specific project.