Overview of remote inspections
The program requires a client to use the Skype app on a 4G smart phone in order to interact with Oro Valley inspectors. The inspection process is as follows: Clients schedule an inspection through our Citizen Self Serve website, requesting a Skype inspection; the inspector initiates a Skype call to the client; the inspector directs the client though the inspection and the inspection results are entered in our system for client to view on our web site.
Please note that due to the size and/or complexity of the project, inspections may not be able to be completed via the remote inspection process. In that case, every effort will be made to complete a field inspection on the same day that the remote inspection is scheduled. The determination of eligibility is at the discretion of the building official or their representative.
1. 4G wireless service
Ensure your inspection location has 4G connectivity and your smart phone or tablet has 4G connectivity. Note that 3G connectivity may not provide the speed and clarity required to complete the inspection. If this is the case, the inspector may change the inspection request status to not-ready, partial, or failed as applicable. See item 8 below.
2. Set up Skype
Download Skype on to your smart phone and create a Skype account. Android iPhone Windows Phone
(Note: the above links are to Skype. "Skype for Business" is not supported at this time.)
Hot tips that make it easier for us to connect with you:
- Go to your profile and enter your email and Tucson and AZ for City and State
- Android users: go to settings and allow IM and Calls from all users
3. Prepare for the inspection
Prior to scheduling, ensure that the necessary tools based on type of inspection are readily available. For example, carry a tape measure, level, GFCI tester, step ladder (for close ups of ceiling), etc.
4. Schedule the inspection
- Schedule inspections on the Customer Portal.
- Provide a valid contact phone number and e-mail address during the online scheduling process.
- Enter the word SKYPE into the Priority/Comment field while scheduling an inspection.
- You will receive a contact request each time a different inspector will be doing your inspection. Please respond to these requests prior to your scheduled inspection time.
5. Prepare to receive the Skype call
- Make sure the smart phone or tablet is fully charged.
- Respond to any Skype contact request received from Town of Oro Valley staff.
- Be ready to accept video call at scheduled time.
- Have the required tools (see item 3 above for examples).
- Turn off phone notifications that may interrupt the Skype call. This is an important step because notifications freeze the Skype call and cause delays to the inspection.
- iPhone iOS 8.4 in Settings:
- Tap on "Do Not Disturb"
- Set the "Manual" slider button to be green
- Scroll down to "Silence"
- Tap next to "Always" to add a check mark
- Android OS 5: in Settings:
- Tap Sounds and Notifications,
- Under Notifications section, "Do Not Disturb, tap "Off
- (Remember to turn back on after your inspection.)
- Use ear buds with microphone to improve communication.
- Make sure power tools and equipment are not running so that the call audio is clear.
- Set your phone so that you have the small screen of what the inspector sees:
- Tap the Skype screen to access the tool bar
- Tap the camera icon
- In the small view the inspector sees, tap the reverse camera icon
6. Start the inspection
- Begin inspection at street view looking at structure.
- The address or lot number must show in the initial view
- Follow the directions of the inspector
- Walk inspection in clockwise direction horizontally.
- Walk inspection from bottom to top vertically (if multiple floors).
7. Inspection approval
The inspector will tell you if the inspection passed. Congratulations!
8. Inspection failure
- The inspector will update our permitting system after the Skype call is completed. These comments will be available on our web site.
- The inspection can then be rescheduled online after the corrections have been made.