Animals and Pets
The following information is designed to help guide pet ownership in Oro Valley, as well as provide resources for reporting wild animals, locating shelters, or answering any other questions residents may have regarding their pets and other animals.
Dog licenses are required annually and can be obtained at Pima Animal Care Center, (520)243-5900. Rabies vaccinations are required for dogs before licensing.
Dog Leash Law
Oro Valley's leash law requires a dog to be confined within the owner's property unless the animal is on a leash six feet or shorter, with a person on the other end. Tethering your pet is not permitted in Oro Valley.
Heat & Your Pets
Pets need a period of adjustment to this climate. Always make sure your pet has an adequate supply of fresh water and shade when left outside. Never leave your pet in a parked car. The outside temperature, coupled with the car temperature, can reach levels of heat capable of killing your pet within minutes.
Animal and Pet Resource Directory
Animal Care | Pet-care Services
- Pima County Humane Society (520) 327-6088 www.hssaz.org/
- Friends of Animals (203) 656-1522 www.friendsofanimals.org
- Foundation for Animals In Risk (FAIR) (520) 722-3553 www.faircares.org
- Pima Animal Care Center (520) 243-5900 www.pimaanimalcare.org/
Lifeline Oro Valley Animal Rescue (520) 979-2282 www.lovar.org
- Rescue, foster and adoption program for rescued dogs and cats
- Adoptions at Petco, Oro Valley Market Place and Ace Hardware Store
- Dedicated to supporting the Oro Valley Community and its four-legged residents
- Promoting Oro Valley as one of the most pet-friendly towns in the country through saving at-risk shelter animals
- 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization
For help with pets or wild animals that are stuck, sick or injured
- Animal Experts (520) 531-1020
- Tucson Wildlife HelpLine (520) 792-3947
- Forever Wild Bird Sanctuary - (520) 574-3579
For information and assistance with wild animals
(including coyotes, javelinas, snakes and dead animals)
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (520) 883-1380 www.desertmuseum.org
- Arizona Game & Fish Dept. (520) 628-5376 www.gf.state.az.us
- Desert Wildlife Services (520) 743-1411 desertwildlifeservices.com
- Sonoran Wildlife Solutions (520) 762-4466 www.aaanimalcontrol.com
For Injured animals
- Wildlife Rehabilitation Council (520) 792-3947