Shopping Safely and Personal Safety
The following tips should be followed to help keep you safe when you are shopping at malls, businesses and grocery stores.
- Be discrete when typing in your PIN numbers.
- Look at your receipts to make sure that your full credit card number is not listed on it. If the number is on it, use a pen to thoroughly scratch it out.
- Before you walk away from the register, double-check that you have your credit card and checkbook in your possession.
- Do not leave your purse sitting in the shopping cart.
- Establish a plan of where to meet your children if you are separated.
- Make sure your children know your cell phone number.
- Have your car keys in your hand before you leave the store.
- When you are walking out to your parked car, pay close attention to your surroundings and to suspicious people in the area.
- When parking your car at night, try to park under a light and as close to the business as possible.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look around; take notice of people and vehicles around you.
- Do not look like a "victim". Walk with head erect, eyes looking forward making eye contact with those you pass. Walk with a purpose.
- Do not talk on cell phone or listen to iPod, etc. - anything that distracts your attention.
- If something or someone "just doesn't look or feel right" it probably isn't. Avoid the situation, turn and walk in the opposite direction or cross the street. Get to a more public area and call police - place this number in your cell phone.