Police Officer Hiring Process
The process includes: Background Questionnaire, Physical Agility Test, written exam, oral board, background, polygraph, conditional offer of employment, medical exam, controlled substance screening, psychological exam, overall executive review and field training.
- A Background Questionnaire must be completed.
Physical Agility Test (lateral officers excluded) - The following must be met by male and female applicants.
Dynamic Strength Fit Force (minimum number) Sit-ups (in one minute) 25 Push-ups 22 Cardiovascular Endurance Maximum Time 1.5 Mile Run 15 minutes 28 seconds
- Written Exam (lateral officers excluded) after passing the Physcial Agility Test
- Oral Boards at the Oro Valley Police Department
Conditional Offer of Employment
- Medical Exam
- Controlled substance screening
- Psychological Exam
- Overall executive review (officers will be hired based upon executive review and available positions within OVPD; eligible applicants not hired will be placed on a hiring list for 6 months)
- Police Academy (22 weeks - lateral officers excluded) at Pima County Sheriff's Department Academy
- Field Training (12 weeks - entry after academy; 9 weeks - lateral after executive review)
Upon hire date, lateral (currently employed as a full-time police officer) full-time officers with two or more years experience as a certified police officer will receive one week of vacation and one week of sick leave upon hire.
We offer police officers an excellent benefit package, which includes retirement, medical and dental, tuition reimbursement and $1,200 uniform allowance. Other benefits can be viewed through the Town of Oro Valley Employee Benefits Summary.