WHAT IS A GENERAL PLAN?
A general plan is essentially a community’s “blue print” for land use and development; it serves as the basis for rational decisions regarding a community’s long-term development. The general plan expresses the community’s development goals and embodies public policy relative to the distribution of future land uses, both public and private. The policies and programs of the general plan are intended to underlie most land use decisions. Preparing, adopting, implementing, and maintaining a general plan serves to:
- Identify the community’s land use, transportation, environmental, economic, and social goals and policies as they relate to land use and development.
- Provide a basis for local government decision-making, including decisions on development approvals.
- Provide residents with opportunities to participate in the planning and decision making processes of their community.
- Inform residents, developers, decision makers, and other cities and counties of the ground rules that guide development within the community.
- General Plan Documents
THE YOUR VOICE, OUR FUTURE GENERAL PLAN
The Your Voice, Our Future General Plan was created and reviewed by residents during a multi-year process. The Plan was ratified by voters on November 8, 2016 and can be found online HERE. For invormation on project history, check out the Your Voice website.
Inside the Your Voice, Our Future General Plan
The Your Voice, Our Future General Plan is made up of goals, policies and actions on topics important to the community:
- Natural Beauty
- Family Friendly
- Complete Community
- Parks and Recreation
- Cultural Resources
- Water Recources
- Clean Environment
- Land Use
- Development and Design
- Community Services and Utilities
In total, 25 goals and 77 policies identify Oro Valley's envisioned future and a path to get there. To help make Oro Valley's vision a reality, the Plan aslo includes 162 action items. The Your Voice, Our Future General Plan is a plan of action.
General Plan Maps
The Land Use Map shows the proposed general uses of land within Oro Valley. It is the official Oro Vally policy on how land is distributed or set aside for different uses. The Land Use Map in this Plan was revised from the previous version with help from the Your Voice, Our Future Development Committee. Most of the designations on the map remain the same. During the map revision process, residents recommended changes to the map be handled through the plan amendment process, due to the robust public engagment involved in a formal application. As such, it is anticipated that changes to the map will occur during the lifespan of this Plan.
Other General Plan Maps
- Parks and Recreation Map - Parks, recreation and open space, trails and cultural resources.
- Bicycle Routes and Trails Map - Trails and bicycle routes.
- Public Facilities Map - Government buildings, police and fire statiosn, schools and other public buildings and facilities.
- Circulation Map - Roads and their functional classifications.
- Transit Map - Sun Shuttle routes, Sun Tran routes and Park & Ride locations.
The Focus 2020 General Plan was adopted by Town Council on June 15, 2005, and ratified by voters on November 8, 2005. The final version with the maps is linked above. Focus 2020 was replaced by the Your Voice, Our Future General Plan and is no longer a valid policy document.
The Focus 2020 General Plan included a series of goals and policies created by Oro Valley residents. The Strategic Implementation Program established actions which implemented the goals and policies. The accompanying report identifies major accomplishments and remainin items, as of April 3, 2013.